Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Mary Isabella Hales (Horne) 1818-1905

MARY ISABELLA (1818-1905) She married Joseph Horne in Canada and bore 15 children. At a very young age she was fascinated with the Bible and its teachings. She joined the Church in Canada and became a prominent figure in its growth. She wrote: "In the latter part of the summer of 1837, I had the great pleasure of being introduced to and entertained the prophet, Joseph Smith. O Lord, I thank thee for granting the desire of my girlish heart, in permitting me to associate with prophets and apostles. On shaking hands with Joseph Smith, I received the Holy Spirit in such great abundance that I felt it thrill my whole system, from the crown of my head to the soles of my feet. I thought I had never beheld so comely a countenance. Nobility and goodness were in every feature."


Mary Isabella Hales


I was born in the town of Rainham, county of Kent, England in the year 1818. I 
am the daughter of Stephen and Mary Ann Hales, and am the eldest daughter of a 
large family. My parents were honest industrious people and when very young I 
was taught to pray and to be honest and truthful. In my 11th year I became so 
fascinated with the Bible that my leisure time was spent, after the labors of the 
day were over, in reading and studying the history and incidents, the sublime 
parables and teachings contained in that sacred work.




In the latter part of the summer of 1837 I had the great pleasure of being 
introduced to, and entertaining, the beloved prophet, Joseph Smith, with Sidney 
Rigdon and T. B. Marsh. I said to myself, "0 Lord, I thank thee for granting the 
desire of my girlish heart, in permitting me to associate with prophets and 
apostles." On shaking hands with Joseph Smith, I received the holy spirit in such 
great abundance that I felt it thrill my whole system, from the crown of my head 
to the soles of my feet. I thought I had never beheld so comely a countenance. 
Nobility and goodness were in every feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment