Search This Blog

Saturday, December 24, 2011

Elmira Pond 1811-1904

Henry William Miller and Elmira Pond


A SHORT JOURNAL OF ELMIRA POND MILLER
[written about 1890]

I was born at Barlow in the state of Ohio, Washington County on the 14th day of February, 1811, the daughter of Thaddeus and Lovisa Miner Pond. They had eleven children of whom I was the eighth. Father never belonged to any church. My mother was a Methodist, also my two sisters and one brother. I was religiously inclined in my young days. I read the New Testament often and had often wished I had lived in the day of Christ and his apostles, and often wondered why the same gifts and blessings were not in any of them. We were told they were no longer needed, that seemed a mystery to me. My desire was so great to prepare for a future state that I made up my mind to unite with the Methodists. That was in the year 1827.

In the year 1829, we moved to Illinois, Adams County. From that time I was never a member of that church. I have often found that I could not believe as they did in some of their doctrine. I didn't believe in shouting or calling out amen by others before a prayer was finished. I believed the Lord was a person as I read in the Testament that Christ said he was the express image of his Father. I had a great anxiety about finding what would satisfy my mind. I was sometimes impressed with the hope a greater light would come and it was my sincere prayer that I would be prepared to see it.

On the 19th of June 1831, I was married to Henry William Miller. He was not religiously inclined but I believed he was the one for me for I loved him at first sight. I began my first housekeeping at Quincy.  On the 25 of September, 1832 a girl was born. We called her name Elizabeth. On the 30th of March, 1834, a second girl was born. We gave her the name Ruth Ann. We were then living eighteen miles from Quincy on the farm. On the 10th day of January, 1837, another girl was born. We called her Lucy. On the 22nd of December, 1838, a son was born. We called him William Henry.

In 1839 I heard the first true gospel sermon that I ever heard in my life delivered by Abel Lamb. I received it with joy. I could not express my gratitude to my Heavenly Father for sparing my life and giving me the opportunity for hearing the same gospel as taught by Christ and his Apostles.  We were then living in Adams County-ten miles from Columbia. Some of the families of the Latter-Day Saints settled near us after they were driven from Missouri. Brother Lamb held meetings at our house. After having a few meetings he gave an invitation for baptism. I was one of the first to offer but he said he didn't like to baptize me as my husband was not there. He said to wait until the next meeting which would be two weeks, and my husband would be ready to go with me. I did not like to wait, but his words came true. The next meeting we were both baptized, about the middle of September 1839.  The gospel was so plain I would not believe that my relatives would reject it, but only three of my sisters believed. One's husband refused to let her be baptized.  Soon after I became a member of the Church the adversary tried to make me believe I had not received the Holy Ghost. I was tried and troubled in my mind for several days. I finally sought the Lord for a witness, and prayed for the gift of tongues. When I arose from my prayer I commenced speaking in tongues. I felt thankful to my  Heavenly Father for so precious a gift. Soon after I was tempted to believe it a language. There were so few words in it. I then asked for another language. Not withstanding my wish the Lord gave me another. These through his help I have been enabled to keep until the present-1890.  I feel to bear my testimony through his work. I know it is the true church--the only one the Lord has on earth and whatever I may have to pass through, I never can doubt it.  This knowledge is received not only by those appointed to lead but by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, which is a sure guide. I have many testimonies to bear---have seen the sick healed by the laying on of hands and a prayer of faith---have been healed myself, and so have my children. One of my sisters was healed by shaking hands with Hyrum Smith. She had a burning fever. When she took hold of his hands the fever left her, and that was before she was baptized. She soon obeyed and was faithful member until death.

 On the 20th of Jan 1841, a son was born. We named him Alma. The next spring we moved to Nauvoo.  Some of the brethren had received the word of the Lord concerning their property. I was very anxious to know what the Lord wished my husband to do with his. Brother Joseph inquired concerning him and several others and was told to take shares in the Nauvoo House. Then my husband gave the committee $4000.00. I was as willing as he was to do so. We had prospered ever since our marriage, and here was a call for some of the means the Lord had given us.  In the fall of 1841, my husband was called up Black River to get lumber for the Temple. He took his family with him. The company went up the river in a boat. The river froze over and they were obliged to leave the most of their provisions until spring. We went the rest of the way by ox team. The snow was about two feet deep and the men had to walk ahead to break the road. At night they had to shovel off the snow to make out beds. There were fifteen of us, women and children in the sled. Before the spring opened, our provisions gave out. We had only potatoes.  My greatest trial would be to hear my children cry for bread and none to give them. But in that I was happily disappointed. The Lord overruled their minds and appetites that when told we had no bread and no flour to make any they never asked for any. Our youngest, only a year and nine months old could not wait when the flour came to have it baked. He asked for some dough. One of the daughters had never eaten potatoes before--when she came to the table she would look so sorrowful, but not one word of complaint.

I cooked for three of the men and some of the time four for nearly all the time except a short time before we left for home. In 1842 we came to Nauvoo. We came down on a raft. On September 10, 1843, a girl was born, we named her Mary Elmira.  Soon after we moved to Daniel's place, four miles from Carthage. We were there when Joseph and Hyrum were shot. We did not hear of it until the next morning. I could not describe my feeling. It had not entered my mind that our enemies would take the life of our leader. But when Brother Brigham returned and spoke to the Saints it was plainly manifest that the same spirit rested on him that was on Brother Joseph.

On 1845 on the 24th day of July, a girl was born. We called her Freelove.  At the time of burning of houses we could see the light of several while they were burning. We heard that they had a night set to come and burn Daniel's house. The men thought it best to make some preparation in case it came. The filled two large chests with clothing and took them out of the house and sent word to them that they were ready for them. They never came.  That fall we moved again to Nauvoo.

In 1846 we left with a company to start west.  Before we left we had the pleasure of going into the Temple and receiving our endowments. We left a two story brick house and our furniture in it as there was no chance to sell it.  We were three months on the way to the Bluffs called Council Bluffs. On May 9th, 1847, a son was born. We named him Hyrum S. The next season Daniel and family continued their journey with the company. Brother Brigham counseled my husband to stay and help supply corn for the brethren. It proved to  be a good country for corn and we seemed to be a great help to them as well as ourselves.

On March. 22Nd, 1849, a girl was born. We named her Sarah Jane. We there had the use of a house that was built by a man living among the Indians. By building on another room, it made us quite comfortable while we stayed.  On February 14, 1851, a son was born. We named him David. He died the 24th of
March.  On the 2nd of March, 1852, a son was born. We named him Arnold Daniel.  That summer, three months later, we crossed the plains to Utah. We had a hard time making a new home, but we were prospered and soon were in a way to be comfortable again. We were so glad to think we had gone from our enemies. We were in hopes that they would leave us alone, but we were soon to find differently.

On the 5th of April, 1855, my husband was called to take a mission to the Cherokee nation. He was gone two and a half years. I found it quite hard to take care of a large family alone, but I did not complain. He was only doing his duty and that was my wish. In 1857 the army was sent from the States to drive us, "So called Mormons", out of the Valley.  We were again tried and tested to see if we could obey counsel. In 1858 we were told to leave our homes and move south. We knew not where, but we cheerfully obeyed our leader and went till told to camp. We stayed about six weeks until peace was restored.  When the word was "Return to your homes" we all rejoiced to hear the good news. I fe1t to thank the Lord for all this kindness to me.

In 1862 my husband was told to marry another woman. I was willing for the Gospel's sake to make the sacrifice and give my consent. She had five children, four sons and one daughter.  In 1864 my husband was called to go south and make a settlement. He took his other wife with him. In 1866, myself and family went. We settled in St. George as the other place he settled in was washed out by water.  In 1869 we commenced doing work in the endowment house at Salt Lake City for our dead. This I consider one of the greatest privileges we have---to go forth and do a work for our relatives that they have not had the privileges to do for themselves while in the flesh.  In the year 1877 the temple was completed at St. George and we again commenced work for the dead. From that time until 1885 we did what work we could.  My husband's health has been poor for two years past. We thought best to go north on a visit to see our children in hopes a change of climate would help him, but in that we were disappointed. We left St. George toward the last of May. He lived until the 9th of October [1885].
I have given the births of my children. Will now state their deaths:
1-David, March 24, 1851 at Council Bluffs.
2-Alma, February 10, 1871.
3-Lucy Miller Robinson, April 20, 1879, in Farmington, Davis County, Utah.
4-Freelove Miller Hammond, June 8, 1879, in Prov. Cache county.
5-Mary, January 2, 1882.
6-Sarah Jane, May 22, 1902.
7-Ruth Ann, Dec 31, 1910.
8-Elizabeth, January 2, 1914
9-William. July 2, 1922.
10-Arnold Daniel, September 3, 1924. S.L.C., Utah.
11-Hyrum, December 28, 1933
Elmira Pond died September 3, 1904 at the home of her son William in Syracuse, Utah.
(I received a copy of this journal from Gayle Baxter of Idaho Falls in February 1981. I do not know who has the original or where Gayle received her copy. Patricia King April 5. 1981)
[digitized with minor notes by Douglas B. McKay August 2009]
(converted to PDF by LaRein Jones Marx 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment